When you think about all the clothing you need when you are pregnant, it can be overwhelming. What fits one day may not fit the next. Seasons change, your belly changes daily, but your life continues on and you need clothes to wear. Well you don’t have to dress frumpy just because you are pregnant and you don’t need to break the bank in stocking your wardrobe for the year. Here are 8 essentials for every pregnant woman’s wardrobe to get you started:
- A great pair of jeans. The most important factor in maternity jeans is that they are comfortable with plenty of stretch. If you wore jeans frequently before you were pregnant, chances are you will want to wear them while you are pregnant. You don’t have to sacrifice comfort for style and settle for “mom jeans” just because you are expecting. There are some very fashionable maternity jeans on the market today which not only look great; they don’t look like maternity jeans or “mom jeans.” Personal favorites include Maternal America’s Megan Jean. This jean was voted by Fit Pregnancy as the Best All Around Style Jean on the market out of 280 jeans they tested.
- Maternity Leggings. Yes, leggings really are back. Many of us who grew up in the 80s didn’t trust this trend last year, or even the year before that. Well, leggings are here to stay for a while anyway and frankly they are great for maternity and are super comfortable to wear. Bella Band makes some of the best fitting and durable leggings around with a stretch panel front. These leggings go great with a tunic, skirt, dress or extra long maternity top. They are very comfortable and warm in cool weather. Leggings come in a wide variety of styles including side ruching, lace, and cropped varieties along with an array of colors. I suggest buying at least one pair of black maternity leggings. If you find you are grabbing them every week, then branch out with a few more styles and colors.
- A short black dress. Everyone needs a versatile black dress in their wardrobe, pregnant or not because there are always events that come up which call for one. Pick an easy jersey or rayon/spandex blend fabric that does not need ironing and can easily stretch to fit your ever changing figure. Dress it up with a jacket or dress it down with leggings. Jazz it up with some necklaces and heels or wear it casual with boots. A versatile black short black dress is more wearable than a maxi and it is easier to move and work in as well.
- Extra long short sleeve tops. Shade makes a great fitting maternity Baby Tee. This top is extra long, hugs your curves and stretches where it needs to. You will want one of these great pieces in every color. Wear it alone in warm weather with shorts, capris or jeans. Layer it in colder weather under a cardigan. Wear it to work with a blazer. You will even want to wear this top postpartum as the extra long length hides your postpartum belly.
- A Stylish Henley is another must-have. This is a great casual everyday go-to item. One in the oven makes a comfortable extra long maternity Henley in long sleeves. They also have a 3/4 sleeve waffle weave nursing Henley that is long enough to be worn for maternity as well.
- A lightweight scarf is a must for your winter maternity wardrobe. A scarf can add both warmth and style to your ensemble. Check out Maternal America’s Nursing Scarf. There is a multitude of different ways to wear this scarf which works as a nursing cover as well.
- A Wrap Top. The Wrap Top style has been around for years, springing from the Wrap Dress. This style works so easily with a blossoming belly while still offering an attractive neckline and overall style. Japanese Weekend’s Stripe Wrap Maternity/Nursing Top is an urban chick 3/4 sleeve charcoal wrap maternity and nursing top with an accent stripe along the neckline and sleeves. You can wear this top to the office with black trousers or casual with jeans.
- A Maternity Hoodie. Both 1 in the Oven and Japanese Weekend have adorable maternity hoodies which double as nursing hoodies with easy and discreet nursing access. This is a great top to grab on colder days when you just need an extra layer. Most pregnant women find sweaters too contricting, unflattering and hot. Hoodies are a great way to get some added warmth without putting on a heavy sweater. They also give an effortless trendy casual look for any day of the week.
So get yourself some wearable and fashionable maternity essentials to get yourself through the next 9 months with ease and style.