Mother’s Day is literally around the corner, Sunday May 10th. As a Mom to be or a new Mom to be you will quickly discover that this Hallmark Day is well worth celebrating and actually relish it. As a mom of three kids ages 6, 10 and 12, I can tell you that the best way to enjoy Mother’s Day is to set the expectation high and well in advance for the type of Mother's Day you would most enjoy. Tell your husband and loved ones exactly the type of day you would most like rather than holding your breath and hoping they will figure it out on their own.
I have learned over the years that Mother's Day is most enjoyable when everyone has had fair warning about a thing or two I might like and the gentle reminder to get reservations early if they plan to take you out. Here are some general guidelines to a wonderful Mother's Day: Setting Mother’s Day Expectations:
- There is a small chance your husband may not realize that Mother’s Day does in fact kick in when you are carrying your firstborn. So, getting your expectations out there in the open go a long ways towards improving your overall Mother’s Day experience now and for years to come.
- If you really enjoy dining out for a brunch, lunch or dinner, then tell your family well in advance the type of meal you would really enjoy. Take it from me, it’s good to plant the seeds early rather than last minute because Mother’s Day brunches will book up at your favorite restaurants weeks in advance. So encourage your husband and family members to get their reservation in well in advance.
- Homemade artwork and kids personally made crumbly toast in bed is priceless and special and all the more enjoyable when you know you will have a nice quiche brunch with your family out of your bed later in the day. You will love their school artwork and cards but you will love it all the more when your husband books you a facial or pedicure at the spa. Trust me, it may sound selfish or super self-absorbed, and maybe it is, but your husband will appreciate your honesty in letting him know exactly the type of Mother’s Day treat you would like if he is new at this game.
- Remember, most husbands are not mind readers, so better to err on the safe side and spell out what you would like. The end of the day we all know that you will treasure all of the homemade gestures and cards for years to comes, as will your kids. However, it’s proven over the years that our Mother’s Day mood will be drastically improved with a yummy brunch or a spa treat that makes the day or week extra special.
- If you are expecting, now is the time to give him your wish list of maternity clothes or transition and nursing clothes that you would really like to have. Believe me, you are really doing him a favor and he will appreciate the specific advice that takes the weight off of him for getting you that special gift that you will just love (and if he does get you that surprise gift it’s all the more unexpected after giving him your specific list).
- Remember: If he forgets to get anything off your specific list you are encouraged as part of the Mother’s Day tradition to get something or somethings from that list for yourself as your personal treat to yourself anytime during the month of May. Being a mom is a big job, and you deserve a few pick me ups to make you cheerful during this month of celebrating moms for all that they are.
Here are a few Mother’s Day gift suggestions if you need a few to stimulate your gift suggestions ideas: A gift you will enjoy both before and after you have the baby is an Olian Maternity and Nursing Pajama Set including Robe and matching Baby Sleeper. The Hearts Themed Nursing Pajama set is simply adorable and very cozy for both Mom and Baby!
If you have already had your baby a few months ago, then check out these wonderful loungewear nursing pajamas by Japanese Weekend that you can wear around the house and feel marvelous in! They come in a variety of colors including black and pastels.
If you want to go a little sexier loungewear wise, then check out Majamas Cozy Nursing Dress. You can literally wear this dress out the door and feel every bit the Sexy Mama even long after you have weaned your baby! This nursing dress is comfortable enough to sleep in and wear for an entire Saturday!
Really anything you really like is a good Mother's Day gift idea, just send to your husband and loved ones as excellent Mother’s Day ideas. Also, they always appreciate the size suggestions as most men who may have an inkling of their wife’s size before they were pregnant, generally have no idea once she is expecting!
Most important, enjoy your Mother’s Day!!